Saturday, May 9, 2026

BLOG- Blackledge Falls in Glastonbury CT

First hike of the year! Not that it's much of a hike but it's in the woods and there's some uphill walking that made me sweat so it counts. Oh and there's a nice waterfall at the end which makes any trail through the forest worth it.

We came down to CT for the May Brimfield Antique Show a day earlier than planned so Jaime could go to a big church book sale with my family and I could do the Hebron town wide yard sale. It sprinkled a little which seemed like it would put a damper on things but only one yard sale seemed to close because of it. The rest of them were there, they just didn't have much of the stuff I was looking for. I did get one little baggy of vintage GI Joe accessories though, and a cute watering can Jaime saw in the preview photos for a sale, so it wasn't a complete bust.


Just over the Hebron town line into Glastonbury, about 3 minutes from the last yard sale I hit, is a waterfall I'd been to once before; Blackledge Falls. I was walking beneath it when my sister took a photo, this was in the days before digital cameras, and when we got the film back, I just happened to be in the classic bigfoot pose while carefully making my way over the wet rocks. I haven't been able to locate the photo to post but it's one I never lived down. I've been wanting to go back to the scene of the crime ever since. Last month my brother-in-law visited the falls and I got jealous when he sent me the photos, so today was my chance. The spring woods were lush with fresh leaves and the parking lot was empty other than me and a family that pulled in right in front of me.


I took the shortcut so I could get to the falls before the parents with their two little ones got there. Despite all the recent rain in CT, the falls weren't much more than a trickle but still spectacular for an eastern CT cascade. It's not often you see sheer drops in New England and hopefully I get to see it again before another 25 years passes, and preferably with more water next time. This was the perfect way to kick off a week of hiking and flea markets.


Ugh, fine, yes, I tried recreate the old bigfoot photo. Here it is. Hopefully I'll be able to find the original someday so I can do a side by side comparison.


No comments:

Post a Comment